How To Buy Bitcoin With Apple Pay
The information provided on this page is for educational purposes only and is not intended as investment advice. We may receive compensation from our partners if you visit their website. Read our disclaimer to learn how we make money.
Exchanges are now opening up to Apple Pay as a way to invest in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. This article will explain how to buy Bitcoin with Apple Pay and which exchanges allow Bitcoin purchases using the Apple Pay digital wallet.
How To Buy Bitcoin With Apple Pay – Quick Guide
Here are quick steps to follow to purchase Bitcoin with Apple Pay:
- Create an Apple Pay account: Users need to create an Apple Pay account if they don’t already have one. Apple Pay only works within the iOS ecosystem, so users must have an iOS-powered gadget. To complete setting up, you’ll need to add a bank card to the Apple Pay wallet app.
- Register on a crypto exchange: Find and compare cryptocurrency exchanges and platforms that accept Apple Pay as a way to purchase Bitcoin. One such exchange that supports Apple Pay is Coinbase.
- Complete ID verification: Most exchanges enforce strict KYC (Know Your Customer ) rules before buying Bitcoin. Users must provide a photo ID and verify their address to complete the KYC process.
- Deposit funds using Apple Pay: Automatically use Apple Pay on an iOS-supported device or the Safari web browser to fund the account. It’s easier if the wallet is already linked to a Visa or Mastercard debit card.
- Buy Bitcoin: Search for Bitcoin from the list of digital coins, enter the dollar amount to buy, and confirm the BTC purchase.
Can You Buy Bitcoin With Apple Pay?
There are a handful of cryptocurrency exchanges that support Apple Pay as a method to fund an account using fiat currency. For example, the popular crypto exchange Coinbase supports Apple Pay as a payment method to fund an account that can be used to buy Bitcoin. Using Apple Pay can be simpler and safer than using a physical card. With the card information stored in the Apple mobile wallet app, users can use Apple Pay to make a secure payment to buy Bitcoin through supported exchanges.
Where To Buy Bitcoin With Apple Pay
Several top cryptocurrency exchanges support the purchase of Bitcoin using Apple Pay. Below are the most common exchanges that accept Apple Pay as a payment option.
1. Coinbase – Best for Ease of Use
Coinbase is one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges with over 98 million verified users across 100+ countries. Coinbase provides one of the easiest ways to start the journey to crypto ownership. A user simply needs to provide their email address to get started instantly. With mobile apps for both Android and iOS, you can stay on top of your crypto portfolio on the go.
Beginners will find using Coinbase a breeze thanks to the easy-to-use, user-friendly interface—which is arguably Coinbase’s standout feature. For the utmost security, Coinbase implements best-in-class security measures to ensure your coins are safe. The exchange strategically stores over 98% of its deposits in offline, cold storage facilities. All accounts are also required to have multi-factor authentication.
Coinbase supports various payment methods that a user can link to their account. Common payment methods include Bank account (ACH), debit card, wire transfer, PayPal, Google Pay, and Apple Pay.
Users can buy Bitcoin on Coinbase using Apple Pay that’s linked to their debit card. The limit to buy crypto using Apple Pay is equal to the sum of your debit card’s limit and the Coinbase limits. So, if the debit card’s transaction limit is $2,000, a user can only buy up to $2,000 worth of Bitcoin in a 24-hour window. The limits are found in the Account Limits section under 'Settings'. Note that adding cash, cashing out and selling crypto isn’t currently available with Apple Pay.
To fund a Coinbase account using Apple Pay, follow these steps:
- Go to Payment Methods on the web (on the app, select Settings then Payment Methods)
- Select Add Payment Method
- Choose the account to link
- Follow the instructions and complete verification
2. Coinmama – Best for Security
Coinmama provides an easy, safe, and global way to buy Bitcoin using a variety of payment methods, including Fedwire, SEPA Instant, Swift, bankcard (Debit or Credit card), Skrill, prepaid cards, Google Pay, and Apple Pay. With most payment methods, users receive their coins in 10 minutes. Coinmama offers higher spending limits for users buying crypto with a bank account. This includes buying up to $30,000 worth of Bitcoin at a time.
Coinmama prioritizes the safety of its users’ assets. The exchange verifies all its users to minimize fraud and keep all accounts safe. Coinmama doesn’t keep any Bitcoin on its servers, and nor does it store your bank or credit card information. There is the option to use a third-party wallet to have complete control of the coins.
Buying Bitcoin on Coinmama with Apple Pay is incredibly convenient and fast. To use this payment method, users must first choose the Apple Pay option. To confirm the payment, users must complete the Apple authentication with Touch ID, Face ID, or a passcode. The order status then changes to In Process, meaning that one of the linked card processors is working on it. This only takes a few seconds.
If 2FA (2 Factor Authentication) isn’t enabled, Coinmama will send an email with information about confirming the wallet. Upon confirming the wallet, users can expect to receive their coins within an hour. Note that Coinmama won’t send digital coins unless a user confirms their wallet address, either via 2FA or email.
Crypto purchase transactions on Coinmama charge a commission from 2.93% to 3.90% depending on the loyalty level. A 5% momentum fee may also be added when using Apple Pay. Coinmama accepts payment in various fiat native currencies.
3. BitPay – Best for Transferring Crypto Assets
Founded in 2011 as Copay by Jim Aviles and Stephen Pair, BitPay now operates as a cryptocurrency payment service provider that helps users accept cryptocurrency and manage transactions. BitPay supports Bitcoin, major altcoins, tokens, and stable coins, and is constantly bringing new crypto assets. The exchange allows individuals to transfer assets from any wallet or buy them directly in the BitPay Wallet app. BitPay also partners with Changelly, Simplex, and 1inch to make it easy for users to buy and swap cryptocurrency.
BitPay’s crypto wallet is non-custodial, meaning that access to all private keys and assets is exclusive to one user. The platform also uses adds a layer of protection through multi-signature security. This means that a user needs more than a single signature to complete a transaction. Users can also swap Bitcoin for any of their favorite coins, including Ethereum, Dogecoin, and more.
BitPay’s Apple Pay process to buy Bitcoin is fast, easy, and secure, more so when using the BitPay app. Users can start by importing their favorite wallets from Coinbase, Kraken, Exodus, Trezor, KuCoin, and many more. Follow these five steps to buy Bitcoin with Apple Pay:
- Download the BitPay app on an iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer
- Tap “Buy Crypto” on the app to buy cryptocurrency
- Enter the amount of fiat to convert into Bitcoin (e.g. AUD, USD, EUR, GPB, and 36 others)
- Choose Apple Pay as the payment method
- View and choose a preferred offer. BitPay partners with Simplex and Wyre to offer the best possible price and complete the transaction
4. Kraken – Best for Low Fees
Kraken was founded in 2011 and is one of the oldest exchanges in the world. With as little as $10, users can start their journey to own 65+ cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin. Kraken's high liquidity makes it easy for users to execute buy and sell orders quickly and at the desired price. The exchange’s high trading volumes and low marker fees ensure you can get in and out of positions to maximize profits. Maker fees start at 0.16% and go as low as 0.00%. Order spreads are as tight as 1 pip (Point in Percentage).
Kraken also has a competitive, investor-friendly fee structure that fits the need of beginners and seasoned crypto traders. There’s a 0.9% fee for buying stablecoins like USDT or USDC with USD or any other stablecoin. Buying a stablecoin with another cryptocurrency like BTC attracts a 1.5% fee. For digital wallet payments, the processing fee is 3.75% + $0.25. Users can also enjoy multiple funding options using their favorite fiat currency as well as with digital assets they already own.
Kraken added support for Apple Pay to its exchange in September 2021. Users must download the Kraken app to use the payment method. To use Apple Pay seamlessly, the Kraken App will automatically connect with a user’s existing account. There is a minimum and maximum purchase limit of $10 and $7,500 in a seven-day rolling period when using Apple Pay.
To purchase Bitcoin with Apple Pay on Kraken, follow these steps:
- Open the Kraken app, select the ‘Buy’ crypto button and choose Bitcoin.
- Enter the amount of Bitcoin to buy
- Select the ‘Pay With’ option to choose Apple Pay.
- Review and confirm the purchase.
5. Gemini – Best for Earning Interest
Gemini is a product of Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, two early cryptocurrency investors who wanted a platform to securely manage their portfolio of digital assets. Gemini is a regulated crypto exchange, wallet and custodian in the United States to access 80+ cryptocurrencies across eight blockchains. In addition to its selection of crypto assets, Gemini also provides strong security and compliance measures. Through the Gemini Wallet, users can safely and securely store their digital assets in the platform’s insured hot wallet or institutional-grade cold storage system.
Gemini stands out because it gives users the opportunity to earn daily compound interest on cryptocurrency holdings. Users may earn up to 8.05% APY, which is nearly 100x more than the national average. Users may also access diverse products and services, including a crypto rewards credit card and the option to pay your favorite merchants with crypto. Both the Gemini mobile app and website provide a user-friendly trading experience. Beginners can use the simple buy and sell option while more experienced traders may access advanced charting tools and different order types for fast trade execution.
Although Gemini offers a wide range of methods to buy Bitcoin, its support of Apple pay makes transactions easier and more accessible for users. Besides Bitcoin, this feature supports over 30 cryptocurrencies. The availability of Apple Pay lowers barriers to entry in the crypto realm while further streamlining the payment process.
To buy Bitcoin with Apple Pay on Gemini, a user first needs to connect their debit card to the payment service. After that, they can follow these steps:
- Open the Gemini mobile app and tap on Bitcoin to purchase it
- Click the buy button and choose either make a one-time Bitcoin purchase or schedule a recurring deposit. Enter the dollar amount to spend
- Select the Apple Pay option and hit Pay
6. Paxful – Best P2P Exchange
Paxful is a Peer-to-Peer (P2P) exchange and digital wallet provider supporting over 350 payment methods to buy Bitcoin such as prepaid cards, Neteller, AirPAy, Abra, PayPal, Amazon gift cards, and many others. As a peer-to-peer marketplace, the platform connects buyers and sellers who can transact directly with each other.
A buyer deposits cash to the seller’s account through any of Paxful’s payment methods. The funds are held in Paxful’s escrow service. When the seller confirms receipt of funds from the escrow service, they release the agreed amount of Bitcoin to the buyer. Paxful is available globally and users can start with a minimum purchase amount of $10 to buy small amounts of BTC. One advantage Paxful carries over centralized exchanges is that users only need their email addresses to access the marketplace.
To ensure the safety of transactions, Paxful enforces KYC and AML (Anti-money laundering) processes for a secure marketplace. Paxful also generates a new wallet with every deposit and withdrawal session.
Buying Bitcoin with Apple Pay is incredibly simple since Paxful connects users with thousands of Bitcoin vendors globally. To buy Bitcoin with Apple pay, users first need to create an account or sign in to an existing one. Once created, click Buy Bitcoin and set Apple Pay as the preferred method.
Look through seller profiles to see vendors who have a great credibility for selling Bitcoin as well as good offers. After identifying a great offer, a user can click Buy to read the seller’s offer terms. Different vendors have different rules of engagement, but most will require a government-issued ID and a screenshot of the Apple Pay balance.
After agreeing with the seller’s terms, click Accept Terms and Buy Bitcoins Now to initiate a chat. Send the payment when the seller gives the greenlight and mark it as Paid after completing the transfer from the Apple Pay Account. Upon confirming the transaction, the vendor releases the Bitcoin to the buyer’s Paxful wallet.
7. CoinGate - Best for Businesses
CoinGate is a top Bitcoin payment processor and gateway for traders, merchants and businesses of all sizes. Businesses have multiple ways through which they can set up Bitcoin payments for any physical store or website, including API integration, PoS application, and official plugins for the larger e-commerce platforms.
CoinGate provides multiple payment options for users looking to purchase Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Users need to create an account and verify their identity to use any of the payment options available. CoinGate mentions that not all payment options require an account since the platform applies a quick KYC procedure to ensure full compliance. Some of the more common payment methods to buy Bitcoin include SEPA bank transfer, debit and credit cards and Apple Pay.
CoinGate partners with Simplex to avail Apple Pay as a payment method for buying Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Here are the steps to buy Bitcoin with Apple Pay on CoinGate:
- Go to the Coingate website
- Enter the currency and amount to spend
- Select Bitcoin and enter a BTC wallet address
- Click the Go to Checkout button.
- Select the Apple Pay payment option and click Continue
Simplex will handle your order and process it within 24 hours or less. Similar to Coinmama and BitPay, the purchased Bitcoin will be sent directly to the user's BTC wallet.
Exchanges That Support Apple Pay - Compared
The table below lists and compared the best exchanges for buying Bitcoin with an Apple Pay account. Click on the individual reviews for more information.
|Exchange||Crypto Assets||Trading Fees||Rating||Promotion||Website||Review|
|250+||0.4% (maker), 0.6% (taker)|
|$5 BTC bonus (USA only)||Visit Coinbase||Coinbase Review|
|222||0.16% (maker) and 0.26% (taker)|
|None available at this time||Visit Kraken||Kraken Review|
|None available at this time||Visit Gemini||Gemini Review|
|BTC, ETH, XRP, LINK, USDT, DOGE & 10 others||0.9% to 3.90%|
|None available at this time||Visit Coinmama||Coinmama Review|
|3||Varies on seller|
|None available at this time||Visit Paxful||Paxful Review|
Advantages of Buying Bitcoin With Apple Pay
Deciding to buy Bitcoin with Apple Pay can provide several benefits over other payment methods. Some of these advantages include:
- Safe and secure: With Apple Pay, users don’t use a physical debit or credit card, which means there’s a lower chance of having your card information compromised. Users won’t share their card numbers since transactions are processed using a token known as a “device account number.”
- Simplified payments: To use Apple Pay, users are required to link their debit or credit card to the Apple Wallet. Using a mobile device, they can place their phone close to an NFC reader or use Touch ID. No need to shuffle between cards since the information is stored in the digital wallet.
- Manage transactions and assets from one place: Besides buying Bitcoin with Apple Pay, users can also store, spend, and swap their digital coins without leaving the app. All their crypto assets and related transactions are controlled through an app.
- No hidden fees: Apple partners with major banks and card issuers to provide a seamless process for its users. Users pay what they see; no hidden fees, annual costs, or additional markups.
- Pay offline: Users don’t need any type of internet connection, whether Wifi or cell data to use Apple Pay.
- Work within the iOS ecosystem: Apple Pay works within the iOS ecosystem, so users can go beyond their smartphones to buy Bitcoin from their iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch.
Downsides of Buying Bitcoin With Apple Pay
Before using Apple Pay to acquire Bitcoin, there are a few drawbacks that should be considered:
- Not widespread: While Apple Pay is currently a popular payment option, many crypto exchanges still don’t accept it as a payment method. Besides, individuals who don’t own an iOS device can’t enjoy the benefits of Apple Pay.
- Limited purchase: Apple Pay users are restricted on the size of the purchase they can make. To buy Bitcoin worth several thousand dollars, users need to explore other payment options like a bank transfer.
How To Buy Bitcoin With Apple Pay – Coinbase Tutorial
Step 1: Create an Apple Pay account
Create an Apple Pay account using an iOS smart device. Link the digital wallet to a bank card to begin using the Apple Pay wallet app.
Step 2: Register on a crypto exchange
Head to the official Coinbase website to get started with creating an account with a crypto exchange that supports Apple Pay as a payment method. Users will need to provide their personal information as well as select a username and password.
Step 3: Complete ID verification
Coinbase requires that users verify their identity to access all account-related features and mitigate fraud. The exchange also requires ID authentication to ensure that only an account owner can change their payment information. The most commonly accepted forms of identification include a driver’s license, government-issued ID, passport, or National Identity card. Verification should take a few minutes to complete. For more information, read this article on Coinbase verification speeds.
Step 4: Deposit funds using Apple Pay
If an Apple Wallet is already linked to a Visa or Mastercard debit card, Coinbase will automatically prompt you to use Apple Pay as a payment method for buying Bitcoin. A user must be logged in to Coinbase on the Safari web browser or on an Apple Pay compatible device. Users who have not linked a debit card to their Apple Wallet can use the Coinbase Card. All user information is secure since Apple Pay uses tokenization for all purchases.
Coinbase deposits in fiat currency or crypto are free and the minimum deposit is $2. Users can also transfer between wallets free of charge. Using the Coinbase Card attracts zero transaction fees.
Step 5: Buy Bitcoin
With a funded Coinbase account, users can now search for Bitcoin among the available cryptocurrencies. Bitcoin should appear in search results and users can hit ‘Trade.”
Enter the dollar amount of Bitcoin you want to purchase with Apple Pay. Users will need to review and confirm the transaction fees before finalizing the transaction. Users can lower their transaction fees by switching to Coinbase Pro.
Frequently Asked Questions
Users need to register and provide their personal information when using Apple Pay, so they won’t buy Bitcoin anonymously.
If an exchange or platform features other cryptocurrencies besides Bitcoin, users can probably buy them with their Apple Pay deposit.
Apple Pay provides a fast, simplified, and secure way for users to buy and sell Bitcoin. On the flip side, not all crypto exchanges support this payment option and its use is limited to iOS users. Luckily, setting up an Apple Pay account is incredibly easy, and linking your wallet to a debit/ credit card completes the setup.