Manually sorting through all 20,000 crypto projects can be challenging to find a trading opportunity in the fast-paced crypto space. To help keep track of each cryptocurrencies metrics, there are dedicated applications called crypto screeners that collate all projects’ data, token percentage change, and market capitalization. This article will compare and rank the best crypto screeners in the market based on our testing, and outline the considerations crypto traders should take on board when selecting a paid or free cryptocurrency screener.
Best Crypto Screeners For 2023
Here is our hand-picked list of the best cryptocurrency screeners to choose from:
- TradingView - Best screening tool for trading charts
- Coinmarketcap - Best crypto screener for coin metrics
- CoinGecko - Best free screener for exchange listings
- Messari - Top crypto screener for detailed data and project analysis
- AltFins - Reliable screener performance summary, signals and filters
- LunarCrush - Best social intelligence crypto screener
Top Crypto Screeners Reviewed
1. Tradingview - Overall Best Screening Tool With Trading Charts
Our number one pick for the overall best cryptocurrency screener is TradingView. It offers screening services for all financial investment vehicles, including stocks, bonds, commodities, and cryptocurrencies. The major advantage of TradingView lies in its superior crypto charting platform that accompanies the market data and analysis tools. The crypto screener graphically represents the price performance of crypto-to-crypto trading pairs, enabling users to ascertain their long-term profitability quickly.
A clear benefit of opting for TradingView is the vast range of tools and features to help users analyze the cryptocurrency market and make informed decisions about a certain coin. Moreover, those that are familiar with technical price charting will have an ample selection of indicators, charting tools, trading signals, and access to real-time data. Given its popularity, the highest-rated crypto trading platforms are integrated with TradingView which means users have access to trading pair pricing from multiple exchanges in one location.
Like all the best crypto screeners, TradingView allows users to streamline their search using parameters like market capitalization, volatility, average volume, and 50 others. Also, users can see the price changes for each listed coin percentage measurement of the asset’s performance across a week, month, and the past 12 months — all in real-time.
Other beneficial tools that will be advantageous to crypto traders and investors are a news section and chat option. These products allow users to go through newsreels and comments left by other users on the specified assets to obtain unique market insights. Users can even share their market ideas and charts which is very popular and a valuable commodity for other traders. The trading view, however, currently supports 700+ digital assets, which is far less compared to CoinmarketCap.
For those on a budget, TradingView does have a free plan available which makes it a suitable crypto screen for first-time crypto investors or enthusiasts. There are paid subscriptions that include additional perks which are Pro, Pro+, and Premium. These plans are priced at $14.95, $29.95, and $59.95 per month, respectively. This is one of the disadvantages of TradingView, as some of the better features are behind a paywall.
Overall, TradingView is a great option for those looking for a crypto market screener. It has successfully integrated research and data on crypto projects and exchanges that are combined with a powerful and robust charting platform with multiple exchanges providing live data.
- Excellent for traders that are focused on screening crypto-to-crypto pairs
- Has a good selection of indicators for technical analysis in evaluating crypto assets potential
- One of the best charting and visualization screens with live data
- Better suited to experienced investors and serious crypto traders than beginners
2. CoinMarketCap - Best Crypto Screener For Market Data
CoinMarketCap, commonly called CMC, is one of the most well-known and established crypto aggregators or price-tracking websites. The platform provides thorough coverage of the 20,000 plus digital assets like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Binance Coin, and thousands of others. CoinMarketCap is one of the best free crypto screeners as it provides highly accurate information on digital currencies for many users across a variety of coins and exchanges in particular.
What we liked about CoinMarketCap is the navigation and excellent ease of use to quickly find information on specific crypto circulating supply, or to find which exchanges have recently listed a new coin. In addition, CoinMarketCap has the ability to filter through the data to find a specific piece of information using more than 12 filters.
For instance, data about a cryptocurrency project can be sorted by pricing, trading volume, industry, and crypto exchange. This enables users to easily browse through each coin to see fundamental and technical aspects of a project, including recent news, available trading pairs, supported platforms, historical prices, and 24-hour gains, and losses.
The cryptocurrency monitoring platform provides crypto investors with real-time updates on the prices of coins and their performances over time. CoinMarketCap ranks 500+ crypto exchanges based on their trading volume, liquidity score, and market pairs at the time of writing. This way, users can directly search for and trade coins they want on trustworthy exchanges instead of manually scanning through the 20,000 plus crypto projects the website indexes.
Overall, CoinMarketCap is a valuable and free resource for the crypto community. There are a few disadvantages such as the insights provided for each coin are essentially a summary and don't have the same depth of information compared to other crypto screeners. Moreover, there is no option to perform technical analysis like its main competitor, TradingView.
- The website is user-friendly for a range of investors to quickly find a summary of the overall crypto market, or drill down to a specific coin or exchange with relevant data
- Is one of the largest open-sources of market data for more than 20,000 cryptocurrencies that are ranked and categorized in a simple and logical manner for easy reference
- CoinMarketCap is free to use and also includes a comprehensive "Learn" section for beginners via its Alexandria portal
- Offers a price estimate features where users can cast their votes on the predicted price of a coin. This is helpful to gather insight in the market sentiment towards a particular crypto
- CMC does not include advanced charting for crypto traders to overlay analysis. Therefore, CoinMarketCap needs to be used in conjunction with a charting website that saves the overlays for future sessions within the browser
3. CoinGecko - Best Free Screener For Exchange Listings
CoinGecko is our third pick which has several similarities to CoinMarketCap. The website operates as a crypto aggregation platform that lists over 13,000 coins, covering recent asset price changes and performance within 24 hours. Additionally, the platform supports 606 exchanges at the time of writing, which makes CoinGecko one of the most comprehensive crypto screeners for exchanges on the market.
For those that want a broad-brushed view of the crypto market, CoinGecko is a great choice. There is even a toggle to show the fully diluted market cap of each project. In addition, users can dive deep into specific projects to inform a trading or investment decision. The screening service also offers a DeFi-facing screening platform through GeckoTerminal. This captures all the top-performing decentralized finance (DeFi) coins, and investors can easily filter projects based on the underlying network, top gainers, and losers in a day.
One of the benefits of using CoinGecko is that it's free to use making it a suitable option for both beginners and seasoned crypto professionals. It provides detailed graphics and charts to depict market trends that are easy on the eye of newer investors. The website is highly intuitive and users can filter their crypto search based on ecosystem functionality, industry, platform, and crypto sub-sectors by selecting the 'All Categories' tab. However, lacks the sophistication for advanced traders that require multi-exchange pricing data for cryptos.
In short, CoinGecko is a leading crypto screener for gathering overall sentiment and data points on the market. However, compared to the screening services above, CoinGecko is not as detailed orientated, doesn't support traditional financial assets and the user interface can be a little confusing.
- CoinGecko homepage can be fully customized to suit the individual in addition to watchlist to quickly see the performance of favourite coins
- Solid selection of supported crypto assets with more than 13,000 available. There is also a category for newly listed projects within the last 30 days
- Solid list of DeFi project research and data on its GeckoTerminal platform, in addition to tracking price, volume and market capitalization data for gaming tokens, metaverse coins, and meme projects
- CoinGecko is a market aggregator for the crypto market only. Does not provide information for traditional assets which may be a limiting factor for multi-asset class investors
4. Messari - Top Crypto Screener With 100+ Filters
Messari is another top cryptocurrency screener. Messari is a crypto native platform that provides detailed background info and history on 2,540 listed cryptocurrencies. Each asset is accompanied by a trading volume average, market capitalization, and highs and lows of the previous year. There is also a section for users to view the exchanges that support each cryptocurrency and the accepted trading pairs.
Messari's crypto screener is quite bold in design, but this doesn't undermine its utility. Users can easily search for their selection of coins using over one hundred filters which are significant compared to TradingView, CoinGecko and CoinMarketCap. Messari lets crypto enthusiasts customize their screening experience from the app by clicking on the 'Customize' button. This will open up several filters like the ‘Standard Metrics,’ ‘ROI,’ ‘All-Time High & Cycle Low, ’ and several others.
Users can also set custom alerts to receive notifications once a coin reaches a price or trading volume threshold. With this comprehensive lineup of filters, users can get access to custom data to make informed decisions about which crypto assets to add or remove from a portfolio. Unlike TradingView, there is no option to browse non-crypto assets which may be a disadvantage for broader investors. Moreover, the charting is quite simplistic in features and not suitable for advanced crypto traders.
In terms of pricing, Messari has a free version and a paid service. While the free plan offers useful analytical insights, to unlock the full selection of screeners, the subscription fee is $24.99 per month or $29.99 per month for its annual package which is comparable to TradingView's packages.
Like most exchange aggregators, the information on Messari can be outdated and inaccurate. This is due to the reliance on third-party sources. However, this should not be seen as a major negative, as the screener serves to provide a fairly thorough overview of the crypto market with the ability to create a watchlist. Despite not having a comprehensive listing of cryptocurrencies (especially newer coins) as its competitors, Messari is a great option to consider for market research.
- Supports the major cryptocurrencies with over 2,540 listed
- Elegant and modern user experience that is well-arranged
- Free version available to get basic crypto market data and price feeds
- Does not have an extensive list of cryptos such as gaming tokens, metaverse coins and meme coins
5. altFINS - Reliable Crypto Screener For Signals & Filters
Another top option in this list of best screeners is altFINS. The platform essentially combines the best of both worlds in CoinMarketCap and TradingView. It allows users to screen over 2,700 coins directly using various signals and filters. Moreover, there are several other tools that can be used for further research, including revenue, oscillators, trend, total volume locked (TVL), performance, and many others. There is access to on-chain data which is useful.
AltFins boasts a sizable amount of 2,843 items in its Signals & Filters section, making it the most elaborate crypto screening software out there. The platform is packed with features such as price updates, chart patterns, on-chain data, and short-term trend metrics of their favorite coins. However, the presentation of all the information could be improved and will be quite difficult for beginners to understand.
In the aspect of fees, AltFins charges users to unlock all its screeners. Its subscription starts from $20 to $60 per month or $180 to $600 for a year. This makes it one of the more expensive crypto screeners in the industry. In addition, the more useful features are available on the higher plans only.
In short, we found the user interface on AltFins a little too complicated to navigate due to its outdated design. Plus, the pricing plans are above market and will not be affordable to newer crypto traders. While AltFins makes this list with some useful features such as price alerts, on-chain data, and Android/iOS compatible apps, it isn't the most beginner-friendly crypto screener and has limited coin support in this list.
- One of the biggest selections of filters to extract custom data on cryptocurrencies and exchanges
- Access to on-chain data, news and event information
- Good range of supported cryptos at 2,700+
- Isn't the most user-friendly crypto screener in the market
- Paid plans are quite expensive
Rounding up our crypto screeners list is LunarCrush, a social network for crypto investors. Where LunarCrush stands out is in its social intelligence capability. Using AI, LunarCrush gives users insights into top-performing coins and NFTs in the format of social media platforms. This way, users can easily identify profitable opportunities based on the amount of social engagement and mentions the underlying asset has.
While others have an extended lineup of metrics users can tap into, LunarCrush affords only eight parameters. Users can gain insight into the price change, the ranking of each coin, 24-hour performance, and five other filters. While it does not offer the same amount of technical indicators as its counterparts, LunarCrush still offers a reasonable amount of technical analysis investors can tap into.
Investors have unique access to social signals and engagements, and unique metrics called Galaxy Score and Altrank for a different perspective on the market. Perhaps one of the most unique features is the ability to browse and find the top coins by social mentions and media engagements. This can be extremely helpful when keeping an eye on potential coins (e.g. meme tokens) that are starting to gain a lot of market attention.
Similar to crypto copy-trading platforms like eToro, LunarCrush has a newsreel section covering the entire crypto space that enables cross-platform communication to share personal insights on market sentiment and stats. Furthermore, there are 3,973 coins which is a good selection compared to other crypto screeners listed herein. It also provides a comprehensive cryptocurrency portfolio tracker that allows users to easily keep track of investments by holdings, allocation and specific metrics (e.g. price, gains/losses). Although, these features are locked behind fees based on levels that involve holding LUNR tokens.
In short, LunarCrush is a useful social intelligence platform but doesn't have the depth of data on individual coins compared to CoinGecko or CoinMarketCap. This means those that want to benefit from the social network may need to use another scanner in conjunction with LunarCrush, which is not ideal.
- AI-based market data on top performing coins
- Integration with social media platforms to obtain unique insights in the industry based on social signals
- Highly visual platform that is suitable for beginners
- Has a limited selection of filters to categorize crypto asset information
- Social network is a great feature, although is not as popular as competitors such as eToro and TradingView
The Best Crypto Screeners Compared
The table below compares each of our top crypto screeners based on asset support, fee, and supporting lineup of filters.
|Screener||Supported coins||Number of filters||Pricing (monthly)|
|TradingView||700+||50+||$14.95 (Pro plan), $29.95 (Pro+) and $59.95 (Premium)|
|AltFins||2,700+||2,843||$20 to $60|
|LunarCrush||3,973+||8||Free to 2,000 LUNR|
What is a Crypto Screener?
Crypto screeners are specialized cryptocurrency tools that investors and traders use to search for cryptocurrencies based on certain criteria to extract coin metrics and fundamental news and historical pricing data. They let investors set specific parameters to streamline and sort through crypto projects in the fast-paced crypto market. Some parameters include price, market cap, daily trading volume, and a brief trading chart of the underlying asset.
More sophisticated screeners cover different blockchain projects and their percentage change within an hour, 24 hours, and in the past week, respectively. Crypto screeners make investing easier because they filter trades and help traders identify profitable trading opportunities and make informed decisions.
Some crypto screeners are optimized for arbitrage crypto trading because of their more specific offerings. However, day traders can also utilize most of the crypto screeners we covered in this article. By combining the following parameters, crypto screeners allow users to streamline their research. Among them are;
- Average trading volume.
- Market cap.
- Charting patterns and formations.
- Percentage price change within a timeframe.
Once these parameters are inputted, the crypto screener filters through thousands of crypto projects and provides results that fit the stipulated description. With these results, an investor can easily adjust their trading strategy to profit from the current market trends.
Don't know how to trade? Here's our step-by-step guide on how to trade cryptos.
How Do Crypto Screeners Work?
Crypto screeners function like stock screeners – they gather publicly available information on all cryptocurrencies and their respective networks. This is usually derived from each network’s blockchain explorers, liquidity pools, and websites, amongst others. Crypto screeners use AI-powered technology to present the stipulated result in milli-seconds, making them a necessary tool for crypto investors to gain a holistic view of the market.
A user generally sets their parameters and values then the crypto screener explores the market and presents the coins that meet the user's unique parameters. Since investor needs differ, so will the results. For instance, long-term investors would naturally be drawn to projects that have doubled or tripled their market cap over several months or the past year. This might not interest a short-term or arbitrage trader who may filter projects with massive uptrend potential in the last few hours or days.
What are the Benefits of Using a Crypto Screener?
There are other benefits investors can derive if they tap into a crypto screener asides from providing market-leading insights. Below, we highlight some of the core benefits of using one:
1. Obtain data-driven market insights
The crypto market is a highly charged emotional landscape, and several investors jump into positions based on fear of missing out (FOMO). Without adequate trading data, many traders have recorded more losses than gains. Crypto screeners generate the needed data to make unbiased decisions that could significantly boost a trade's return on investment (ROI). With this, investors can do due diligence on an entire ecosystem of crypto assets and individual projects, thereby boosting their trading confidence.
2. Saves time
This benefit is self-explanatory. The crypto market comprises over 20,000 cryptocurrencies, leaving investors flustered about where to start. Instead of spending countless hours toiling through an endless list manually, investors can easily use a crypto screener and filter their search. This would be a better use of time and provide all the details based on the values supplied to the screener. Time is money for an investor, and wasting it on scrolling through an endless list would significantly affect long-term profitability.
3. Find trending coins & new investment opportunities
Aside from streamlining the research process, crypto screeners list newly listed tokens (e.g. ICO/IDOs) on their websites. These recent debutants are usually on the trending coins list, and investors can easily hop on these projects. They tend to have higher daily performance, and short-term investors can profit from it. Meanwhile, crypto screeners also feature crypto projects performing quite well in 24 hours in its charting platform. For instance, a bullish session is usually depicted in a green chart. Investors can easily use this as a cue to engage in more targeted research and invest in these opportunities once their profitability is ascertained.
What To Look For In a Crypto Screener?
The uses of crypto screeners are multi-fold, but the most important utility is to help investors identify profitable trading opportunities. Screeners usually come with the most popular crypto indicators which are highly useful in making informed trading decisions. Here are the basic features to look out for when finding the best crypto screener:
- Ease of use. The paramount metric in choosing a crypto screener should be intuitiveness. Filtering coins should be simple and only require a few clicks or a maximum of three clicks. Additionally, it should have a clean interface. Platforms that offer crypto are notorious for overloading their dashboards with information. To save time, the filters should be easily selectable.
- Mobile-friendly. Another crucial factor to consider is mobile friendliness. Many investors are turning to their mobile phones to buy and sell digital currencies. Ideally, crypto screeners offer the same information and metrics on desktop and mobile. While most crypto screeners are web-based tools only, there are exceptions like CoinMarketCap, TradingView, and CoinGecko with a mobile app for 24/7 access to live crypto data.
- Real-time data. For fundamental-based investors, having access to accurate and live data is essential. This includes real-time price data from multiple sources, top performances for the week, and also historical data. This is particularly important for day traders that require quick access to information and news to make informed trading decisions in a short period of time.
- Graphical charting. Screeners with a highly visual graphical user interface with price charts are advantageous to complement the data from a different perspective. TradingView is a great example that displays coin metrics, performance indicators, sentiment ratings, and key stats adjacent to the crypto trading pair. It can also overlay key news events along the bottom of the price chart.
Frequently Asked Questions
One of the best screeners for the cryptocurrency market is TradingView. There are over 700 supported cryptocurrencies that can be can be sorted to find the best-performing cryptos, the daily trading volume, and the percentage change in price over the last 24 hours. In addition, each asset can be displayed with real-time charts to view current and historical prices with various analytical tools at hand.
Crypto screeners are a valuable tool to save investors time when looking to find out a coin's metrics, price performance, and essential news all in one location. They can even be customized using specific filters and parameters to streamline the information. For example, the top cryptos can be sorted by market capitalization, 24-hour performance, and daily trading volume.
In summary, there are several benefits of using crypto screeners as they can save hundreds of hours of research. The best cryptocurrency screeners not only make it easy to access real-time data on cryptocurrencies, exchanges, and the latest news, they can be fully customizable using several filters to create a custom data and research solution. While there are free crypto screeners to choose from, the best options require paid plans.
In short, our pick for the best screener for the crypto market is TradingView. The website is excellent for crypto traders, provides real-time data next to the charts, has custom news feeds, and supports more than 700 coins. Importantly, TradingView has one of the best support for multiple trading pairs and exchanges. This means users have the flexibility to find crypto prices against multiple currencies and use data from different sources. To access the best features, there are paid plans, however, the benefits far outweigh the cost in our opinion.